Swiffer WetJet spray mop is a great alternative to a traditional mop that requires a bucket of cleaning solution. Featuring a press button to release a cleaning solution from its reservoir, this mop provides a great convenience for cleaning a number of floors. So, can you use a Swiffer on vinyl plank flooring?
Yes, Swiffer WetJet can be used on vinyl plank flooring without causing any damage. With just the right type of vinyl cleaning solution, it quickly breaks up tough and sticky dirt for a clean sparkling floor surface.
Can you Use Swiffer Wetjet on Vinyl Plank Flooring?
Vinyl plank flooring comes in thick planks that locks together during installation. Although waterproof, standing water on the vinyl floor surface can penetrate through the seams and damage its core layers or promote growth of mold in the subfloor.
This is why you shouldn’t use a steam mop on vinyl flooring or any other cleaning method that leaves moisture or excess water standing on your floor. When moping a vinyl plank flooring, you have to use only a damp mop and a recommended vinyl cleaning solution.
Although a traditional string mop has been around for many years, it may not give perfect outcome when used on a vinyl flooring. There is a high risk of cross contamination or a sticky residue on the floor. This is where Swiffer WetJet wins the challenge.
Swiffer WetJet is convenient and safer on sealed or water resistant floors. With just a press of a button, the cleaning solution sprays onto your floor from small holes located in the mop head to dissolve tough dirt. With few passes, the mop’s disposable pad lock in and remove the dirt with not too much effort.
Unlike the other mops, Swiffer WetJet ensures that dirt and germs is not spread across your floor. There is also no wringing or emptying dirty water and this makes it convenient and faster in cleaning.
With the initial investment of $25 to $30 depending where you are shipping from, Swiffer WetJet system will serve you for many years. You will only be replacing the pads which costs around $7 for 12 pieces and a cleaning solution refill that goes for around $4 per liter.
How to use Swiffer WetJet on Vinyl Plank Flooring
Swiffer wetJet comes boxed in a couple of sections. The starter kit comes with 4 AA-size batteries, 1 liter bottle of cleaning solution and a set of disposable cleaning pads. The mop itself has a reservoir that houses the cleaning solution, a 360-degree swiveling head, a three-part pole, and an easy-grip handle.
All these snaps together easily and you will only take less than 5 minutes to assemble your Swiffer WetJet spray mop. Here is how to go about it.
- Snap the poles together and attach the handle on the top side of the pole
- Slide open the battery compartment and insert the 4 AA batteries which works the spray function
- Attach the cleaning pad on the mop head. You can decide to start with the dry cloth for sweeping up dust, pet hair, and other debris or a wet cloth for deep cleaning your floors.
- Insert the cleaning solution bottle with the arrow facing the pole and push it down until it clicks into place.
- Sweep or vacuum the floor before you mop with Swiffer Wetjet. This removes loose dirt from the floor so that your mopping can focus on hard-to-remove spills and stains.
- Press the button on top of the handle to spray the cleaning liquid and onto the floor
- While applying some pressure, move the mop back and forth over the damp area until all the dirt is gone. You can always spray again the sticky stain and try to rub it again.
- When moping a heavily soiled floor, replace the dirty mopping pad with a new one to avoid spreading the messes on around your floor.
What are the downsides of using Swiffer WetJet?
While Swiffer WetJet beats other floor moping options in many ways, it is not fully perfect. The following are concerns that come with it:
- Swiffer WetJet can become an expensive investment with multiple replacement parts including cleaning solution, pads, and batteries
- Replacement of parts can lead to plenty of trash in landfills which is seen as a threat to our environment. Most of the parts cannot be recycled.
- The cleaning solution container cannot be refilled, you only have to replace it as a whole with a specified floor cleaning solution.
- There is no room for using your preferred cleaning solution with a Swiffer WetJet system.
- Incorrect use like squirting excess cleaning solution can result to a sticky residue or white haze on your floors.
- The cleaning solution doesn’t last very long and it becomes expensive mopping large floor surfaces.
Swiffer Wetjet can safely be used on vinyl plank flooring and other sealed floorings like laminate and hardwood floors. It is lighter, convenient and faster in cleaning. Always use your Swiffer WetJet spray mop with a recommended cleaner for your flooring.